Weather and Soil Moisture Data Interpretation
With the installation of weather stations and soil moisture monitoring technology, a lot of data is generated. Agbyte assist clients in extracting maximum value out of the data through services that include graphing and interpreting soil moisture and crop water use. Sentek’s IrriMAX software is an industry leading platform for viewing soil moisture probe data.
Fire Danger Index Alerting
Agbyte has been instrumental in developing FDI alerting systems for the South Australian grains industry. Data generated by Agbyte weather stations is used by growers, local CFS (Country Fire Service), local councils and NRM (Natural Resource Management) organisation to understand and alert stakeholders about fire risk during the summer months.
"High Tech" Monitoring Sites
Agbyte has been successful at winning SAGIT (SA Grains Industry Trust) funding to evaluate the value of various new and innovative sensors to the grain producers.
Three sites have been set up that have a weather station plus soil moisture probes as well as a range of other sensors:
- 10m tower that monitors air temperature and humidity for temperature inversion and its impact on spray drift
- Constantly logging NDVI sensors for measuring the changing nature of crop biomass and greenness
- Solar radiation for evapotranspiration and degree days modelling which impacts crop development
- Canopy temperature sensor that measures the actual temperature of the crop, not the ambient temperature around it. Canopy temperature has direct correlation to the severity of frost as well as plant moisture stress.
- TrapView remotely monitored insect pheromone traps. http://www.trapview.com/v2/en/
The sites are located at:
- Bute, Northern Yorke Peninsula http://22.214.171.124:8080/custdata/agbyte/sagit/bute.html
- Hart, Mid North http://126.96.36.199:8080/custdata/agbyte/sagit/hart.html
- Riverton, Lower North http://188.8.131.52:8080/custdata/agbyte/sagit/riverton.html
Thanks to Northern Sustainable Soils, Hart Field Site, Mid North High Rainfall Zone farming systems groups and SAGIT http://www.sagit.com.au/
360 Monitoring Alliance
In 2014, Agbyte became part of the 360 Monitoring Alliance - please visit www.360monitoring.com.au for further information. The Alliance involves a number of individual similar businesses around Australia - that are specialist in soil moisture, water & weather monitoring systems.
As part of this technical group, we have been able to increase our level of customer support and also provide reciprocal business backup for other 360 members with similar equipment that may also need support.